03 July, 2016

My Talks: IMC and Heckington

On Tuesday 5 July, from 4.30 to 6pm, I'll be taking part in a session at the International Medieval Congress at the University of Leeds with Professor Mark Ormrod of the University of York (Edward III's biographer) and Dr Paul Dryburgh of the National Archives. Our session is called The Troublesome Twenties, i.e. the 1320s, and my talk is about Edward II's last chamber account of 1325/26 and what it reveals about him.

And on Friday 8 July at 7.30pm, I'll be giving an hour-long talk about Edward II in the village of Heckington, near Sleaford in Lincolnshire. I've been invited by the good people at St Andrew's church, which was founded by Edward's chaplain Richard Potesgrave; Richard was also one of the men who guarded Edward's body (or was it Edward's body...?) in Gloucester during the two months it lay in state there before his funeral on 20 December 1327. If you're anywhere in the vicinity, please do come along!

4 comments:

Katarzyna Ogrodnik-Fujcik said...

Wonderful news, dear Kathryn! I wish I could come...

Anonymous said...

Sounds like this could be very interesting. As I'm based in the West Midlands I'm somewhat distant from Leeds and don't have a vehicle so I can't come, unfortunately. Kathryn, I've had a most dreadful thought - if it wasn't Edward's body does that mean some poor random peasant was killed to stand in as a substitute? (Perhaps you're going to suggest I should read your book to find out what may have happened? It is on my ever increasing "to read" list.

Patricia O

Anonymous said...

I also wish that I could attend your talks ... any hope of recording them for those of us across the ocean?

Esther

Anerje said...

Congratulations! And I wish I lived nearer as well!